Develop College-wide Communication Plans for Prospective and Current Students
The communications strategy focuses on three areas:
- a multichannel, audience-targeted communications plan for prospective students,
- a communications plan for current students that is aligned with their stage in the student lifecycle and their educational, career, and life goals, and
- internal processes for information-sharing between staff and departments, to better serve students.
In combination, these strategy areas will ensure the pathways into, through, and beyond the College are intuitive and achievable.
- Collaborating with an Enrolment Committee
- Writing Plain Language Communications
- Communicating to Provide Consistent Seamless Service
- Communicating Student Supports through Texting Experiment
Departmental engagement in the admission cycle is critically important. As the academic experts, the information they provide to applicants can move prospects from inaction to excitement about the field they are about to enter. Imagine the excitement a Dean can raise by connecting directly with an applicant. Faculty can make a critical connection with potential students: it smooth’s the path into the College and provides a point of contact for students. Early relationship-building between faculty and student increases success.
The Enrolment Tracking Committee is building a model identifying ten “touch points” in the admission cycle directly related to department-student engagement. Departments will be able to draw on a communication strategy at each touch point to ensure both they and the applicants can make the most of the interaction. We will reach out with intentional, significant communication from the time of application to the first day of classes, through a variety of media, so our applicants come to RRC familiar with the department and the program. Our students are important to us – what better way to prove it than by engaging early and encouraging them to join us in their educational journey.
Communicating effectively with our prospective and current students helps us ensure the right people get important information as clearly as possible. We are using the Plain Language approach in developing written communication for Enrolment Services, to save our readers time and effort and to ensure they understand our messages. This approach helps the reader find what they need, understand what they find, and use what they find to meet their needs. Our commitment to Plain Language will ensure our written communications convey information clearly, keep the reader in mind, and are accessible to students regardless of whether English is their first language.
Communication is key for management and staff in the Student Service Centers. They have been working with other College departments on initiatives to provide quality, consistent customer service for students, visitors, and staff. Staff members are cross-trained in different Student Service areas.
- Provide First Contact Resolution for any inquiry, regardless of the question. The objective is to eliminate the need to send or redirect students to other service areas.
- Provide consistent, quality, professional service. The objective is to ensure all customer service representatives are providing accurate, consistent messages.
- Provide learning and training opportunities for staff. The objective is to assist them in developing their understanding and knowledge of operations in other areas of the College.
Our goal is to improve student success either by reinforcing motivation to persevere, or to seek help where they need it the most.